2016 OLTA Gathering
“Inspiring Conservation Leadership”
Wednesday, October 19 – Friday, October 21, 2016
YMCA Geneva Park Conference Centre, Orillia ON
OLTA is excited to be hosting the 2016 Ontario Land Trust Gathering! Come join us for an opportunity to network with others working to conserve our incredible natural landscapes. The Gathering will give you the opportunity to take back skills and knowledge to your own community!
Check out the Schedule At A Glance to see our program line up. Back after a short hiatus is the Field Trip to Prairie Smoke Nature Reserve – what a fantastic outdoor classroom!
New This Year!
There will be discussion tables during Thursday breakfast and lunch. Grab your food, sit and eat with your colleagues interested in a particular area.
- Sit down with Leslie Ratley-Beach and chat about conservation easement agreements. This one is open to lawyers as well. There is a nominal charge for breakfast.
- There will be a table for Executive Directors to meet and greet. This will be an opportunity to network with your peers.
- And for board members, there will be a table on board governance hosted by Frank Shaw.
- There will be another opportunity to discuss conservation agreements with Leslie.
- Do you have questions about OLTA’s Cross-border Transactions Training Program? Sit down with Kristen Callow and Sandra Tassel to talk about your role in this program.
- Kendra Pauley, Federal Programs Manager, Nature Conservancy of Canada will be joining us at lunch. She will be available to answer questions about the OQO Program, The OQO Capacity Development Funding Program and the EGP Land Acquisition Support Fund. Kendra will also be available for the rest of the day.
|Schedule At A Glance||Conference Session Overview||Speaker Bios|
Thank you to our 2016 Supporters!
Beverage – Wellington Brewery
Gathering Information From Last Year
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
|Ecological Gifts Program – The Ontario Perspective||Building Member Engagement in Land Trusts|
Thursday, October 22, 2015
|Conservation Agreement Panel||Deal Doctor -Creative Case Studies – Land Securement on a Tight Budget||Ten Good Ideas About Grant Writing|
|The Impact of Conservation Agreements on Property Tax Burdens||How can SAR benefit you||Succeeding at Succession|
|Benefits and Challenges of Trails||Make American Landowners’ Estate Planning a Boon for Your Land Trust||Making Citizen Science Work for Land Management|
Friday, October 23, 2015
Thank you to our 2015 Sponsors!
Lieutenant Governor of Ontario to address the OLTA Gathering
The Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, addressed the land trust community at the Ontario Land Trust Alliance’s annual Gathering Conference October 21 at 9 am at the Geneva Park Conference Centre.
Keynote Address – A Shared Responsibility, A Shared Response
Our keynote speaker was Larry McDermott, Executive Director of Plenty Canada, an indigenous non-profit organization devoted to environmental protection, sustainable development and healthy communities. Larry reviewed the opportunities for achieving land trust goals through the inclusion of Indigenous traditional knowledge and Canadian reconciliation through shared activities on the land we love.