Start a Land Trust
3 MAIN STEPS IN CREATING A LAND TRUST
1) Before you Start – First Things First
What kind of land trust do you want to be? Which Land Trust activities do you want your land trust to do? Create a community process to draft a purpose/mission statement. That way, you will get the wider community buy-in for your goals.
Where will the resources needed (financial, human, community) for these activities come from? Become familiar with the Standards and Practices for Land Trusts (contact OLTA), and be aware that you should have the resources to meet these standards in the future.
OLTA has also created a Land Trust Starter Kit, a complete resource that helps guide interested groups through the process of initiating a new land trust in their community.
2) Incorporation – The Legal Stuff
Consider the statement of purpose in the context of CRA regulations for charitable organizations.
Make decisions about membership and management
- Membership organization which elects the board
- Size of Board of Directors
3) Next steps – You’re There!
- Join the Ontario Land Trust Alliance
- Make application to CRA for charitable status (to issue tax receipts for donations)
- Consider Incorporating
- Build a strong organization with a shared vision, community support, a complete skill set, and lots of money
- Complete your first conservation project
- Celebrate at your first AGM!
10 Activities for a Land Trust- The Fun Stuff