Rules & Regulations
The following are the official Rules for Voting of the OurLand@150 Photo Contest
The voting period begins 8:00 AM EST on September 18, 2017 and ends at 11:59 PM EST on October 1, 2017.
Who is Eligible?
Voting is open to all who sign in with a valid email address;
All voters must provide a valid email address. A valid email address is defined in all cases as an address which (a) represents a real business or individual in Ontario and (b) includes the minimum contact information necessary for Ontario Land Trust Alliance staff to contact the voter by email.
Who is Not Eligible?
VOTING is not open to employees of the Ontario Land Trust Alliance (“OLTA”).
HOW TO VOTE
- Visit the OurLand@150 Photo album page at OLTA.ca/ourland150 or log in through Facebook.
- Provide a valid email address.
- Select the photo you wish to vote for and click “vote”.
- Note: you may only vote once per day (every 24 hours).
- You may vote again after 24 hours.
- You may vote for a different photo each day.
All votes must be received no later than 11:59 PM Eastern Time on October 1, 2017.
PRIZE AND PROCESS
When the voting process has closed, the 30 photos with the highest number of eligible votes, will be chosen to participate in the OurLand@150 Photo Exhibition.
The OurLand@150 jury shall select the winners from the top 30 photos. There will be four (4) photos selected for an Award of Merit. The jury shall select one best overall photo to be the one official prize winner.
Only one award per person shall be given.
The five award recipients shall receive a prize package which includes paid accommodation and transportation to Toronto, to attend the OurLand@50 Celebration on October 29, 2017. The grand prize winner will receive a prize package of greater value.
Prizes cannot be exchanged for monetary compensation. Total amount of travel expenses reimbursed will be at the discretion of OLTA.
OurLand@150 PHOTO CONTEST 2017 RULES AND TERMS
These rules govern the OurLand@150 Photo Contest (“Contest”). The act of entering the Contest constitutes acceptance of the Contest rules and terms and conditions (the “Rules”). The act of entering the Contest also constitutes agreement to be bound by the decisions of the Contest jury and the OLTA, which decisions shall be final and binding upon all entrants.
The Contest opens on July 28th, 2017 at 9:00 AM (Eastern Standard Time) and closes on September 14, 2017 at 11:59 PM (Eastern Standard Time) (the “Contest Period”).
Entries must be received by September 14, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
Who is eligible? The Contest is open to all residents of Ontario, between the ages of 13 and 25 years old.
Who is not eligible? The Contest is not open to employees of OLTA or professional photographers.
Eligible Entries Photographs
The Theme is nature and Ontario.
Only photos taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet) are permitted.
Photo editing is permitted.
Creativity is encouraged!
- Paid travel and accommodation to Toronto
- 2 passes for a tour of your choice (including Segway tours) with Go Tours Canada
- Entry passes for 4 to Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada
- $500 travel voucher courtesy of Via Rail Canada
- a 4K quadcopter drone with flight capabilities of 1640m and 20 minutes of flight time on a full charge (valued at $800)
- One-year pass to the Royal Ontario Museum
- additional prizes to be announced at a later date
Submissions and Entries
You may enter a maximum of five photos only. Send in your best work!
Each Entry must include:
- A valid email address of the person making the submission
- Photographs should be submitted in JPEG format, at an image file size no larger than 1 MB.
- Entrants must be able to provide a high-resolution copy of their image (minimum 300 dpi) should their photo be selected as a finalist. If they cannot provide a high-resolution copy, OLTA reserves the right to select an alternate finalist or grand prize winner.
- The file name must include the name of the piece and the entrant’s name. Please submit files names in this format: YourName_ImageTitle.
- With each photo, please write a few sentences explaining why this image is important to you. Tell us what the photo says about nature and Ontario, and where it was taken.
- The entrant must be the owner of the photograph.
- The entrant is responsible for obtaining the written consent, release and/or permission of each identifiable person in the photo.
As such, the contestant holds OLTA harmless from any breach of copyright in Canada, the U.S.A. or internationally.
The OLTA reserves the right to reject and disqualify any photograph that could be offensive or inappropriate or that does not meet the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules.
Entries will be disqualified if sent by any method not specified in these Rules or if not submitted within the Contest Period. OLTA will not be responsible or held liable for entries lost, for entries that cannot be submitted because of technical issues, or for entries that, for any reason, appear to have been submitted after the end of the Contest Period.
For Contest winners under the age of 18, a legal parent or guardian must give consent to accept any prize(s).
HOW TO ENTER
No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest.
- To enter the Contest, upload your photo(s) online at olta.ca/ourland150
- Read the Contest Rules
- Upload photograph(s) in JPEG format and the description of your photo and its location
- Fill out the contact form including a valid email address and telephone number.
- Read and accept the Contest Rules, terms and conditions in order to proceed.
- Click submit.
- An entrant will receive an acknowledgement upon the entrant’s submission (an entrant may submit multiple entries by repeating the process described above).
There is NO requirement to become a member of the Ontario Land Trust Alliance to enter the Contest.
An in-house panel will select one hundred and fifty photos to be eligible for the Public on-line voting.
Up to 30 finalists will be selected by public voting, based on the highest number of eligible votes.
Finalists will be notified by email upon completion of first-round finalist selection and jury selections.
The public will be invited to vote for their favorite photo. Voting will be open from 8:00 AM EST September 18, 2017 to 11:59 PM EST October 1, 2017. Only one vote per person per photograph per day will be accepted. Thirty (30) finalist photographs will be determined by the most votes from the public. The selected 30 Finalists will be notified by email.
The jury will select the final 5 award winners.
The 30 finalist photos will be placed on exhibit at the OurLand@150 Photo Exhibit in Toronto.
Photo printing and mounting will be provided by OLTA.
The jury will judge entries to the Contest on the basis of technical and artistic merit in photographs that meet the thematic criteria. Jury Decision is Final.
OurLand@150 Public exhibit
The 30 finalist photos including the award-winning images will be printed and put on display to the public from October 23 to October 31, 2017. The public exhibit will be held at Arta Gallery in the Distillery District in downtown Toronto. Each photo will be credited to the artist. Winners will be announced at the OurLand@150 Gala Event on October 29, 2017.
Photos selected for the OurLand@150 Exhibit will be printed by the Printing Sponsor according to OLTA’s specifications.
All photographers retain full copyright and reproduction rights to their work with the following limitations:
The top 30 photos selected and printed for the OurLand@150 exhibit become the property of OLTA. Only one print will be produced for each image.
OLTA reserves the right to reproduce the image in marketing and promoting OLTA events for a maximum of two years after the 2017 event. When so used, the submission will be marked with the proper © notice and credited to the maker.
- Participation in the OurLand@150 Photo Contest indicates your complete acceptance of these competition rules.
- Be advised that exclusive copyright for images not selected will not be infringed upon.
OurLand@150 Gala Event
The awards will be presented at the OurLand@150 Gala Event on October 29, 2017.
As part of the Contest, you consent to the possible use of your name and photography without payment or compensation, for use by the OLTA. You consent to being contacted by the OLTA via email for the purposes of conducting the contest.
Any questions, comments, concerns should be addressed solely to OLTA.
The information you provide will be used for the promotion and operation of the OurLand@150 Photo Contest and for keeping you informed about the Ontario Land Trust Alliance.
You may revoke your consent to be emailed at any time by contacting email@example.com.
As part of the Contest, you agree to abide by the Contest rules and the decisions of the Contest organizers, which are final.
PRIZE AND PROCESS FOR SELECTING FINALISTS AND WINNER
The odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries submitted to the Contest.
The decisions of the jury regarding finalists and winners shall be binding and final in all respects and on all entrants.
Awards and Prizes
The Official Overall Winner of the prize will be selected from the eligible entries by the jury and, subject to change without notice, and awarded a prize package valued at not more than $1500 plus HST.
The OLTA reserves the right to substitute any prize or portion of the prize with a prize of equal or greater value. The prize is awarded as-is and no warranties or guarantees are implied or expressed, beyond the standard manufacturer’s warranty. The prize is non-transferable. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted.
Awarding of Prize
Following the close of the Contest on October 1, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. EST, the potential Official Overall Winner will be contacted via email. If the potential Official Overall Winner cannot be contacted within a reasonable time period or fails to respond by the end of the fifth business day following being emailed by a representative of the OLTA, the jury reserves the right to select another potential Official Overall Winner.
Winner’s Declaration & Release
Prior to receiving the prize, the potential winner must provide proof of age and province of residency, and if under the age of 18, provide parental or legal guardian permission. Forms will be provided. They must also sign a release form releasing the OLTA and their related parties from any and all liability in connection with the Contest and/or the prize, confirming compliance with the Rules and consenting to the use of his or her name and photograph(s), in any and all forms of media, without further compensation, in any publicity carried out by or on behalf of the OLTA.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY
OLTA, together with its directors, officers and employees, shall not be responsible for any injuries, loss or damages of any kind (compensatory, direct, incidental, consequential or otherwise) with respect to, or in any way arising from, this giveaway or the prizes awarded.
OLTA does not warrant that access to or use of the contest will be uninterrupted or error free.
OLTA reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, amend or suspend the contest, its sole discretion, if any technical or other problems prevent the fair or proper administration of the contest. If the contest is terminated, the OLTA reserves the right to conduct the awarding of prizes for, those valid entries previously received during the contest period. The OLTA will have no liability whatsoever if for any reason the contest is not capable of running as planned due to technical problems, including due to computer virus, bugs, unauthorized tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes.
Purposes of the Collection of Personal Information
OLTA will use personal information (name, email address and telephone number) in order to establish and maintain relations with entrants to the Contest, to manage and operate the Contest and to meet its legal requirements. For example, OLTA will use such personal information to make contact with winners and disclose names of entrants in association with their photograph entries that are posted to the public gallery, and exhibition or on social media.
A person who submits a photograph as an entry to the Contest will be considered to have given his or her consent to the OLTA’s collection, use and disclosure of the person’s personal information for the purposes described above.
Refusing or Withdrawing Consent
A person can refuse to consent to OLTA’s collection, use or disclosure of personal information about the person. As well, a person may withdraw his or her consent to the further collection, use or disclosure of personal information in connection with the Contest at any time in the future by giving OLTA reasonable notice, unless: (a) the consent is otherwise required by law or (b) the use or disclosure is permitted by law or is related to the legal or regulatory requirements described in these Rules or in connection with the operation of the Contest. If a person refuses or withdraws his or her consent, OLTA may not be able to permit the person’s continued participation in the Contest.
By participating in the Contest, an entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless OLTA, and its affiliates and/or related entities and each of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees, advisors, assignees, agents, licensees and representatives from any and all damages, injuries, claims, causes of action, or losses of any kind (including but not limited to lawyers’ fees) arising from the entrant’s participation in the Contest, the entrant’s violation of any term of the Contest Rules, the entrant’s violation of any third party right, including, without limitation, any copyright, property or privacy right; or any claim that the entrant’s submission caused damage to a third party.
OLTA shall not assume any liability for a lost, damaged or misdirected prize.
- This Contest is governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable in the Province of Ontario and is void where prohibited by law.
- Any dispute shall be adjudicated in the courts sitting in Toronto, Ontario.
- The use of any automated or mechanical system, including form filling software, to enter or participate in the Contest is prohibited and will result in disqualification of all entries made using such means or assistance.
- When a photograph is submitted, and is accepted as an entry, the entry cannot be changed or edited.
- Should there be a dispute about who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address provided at time of entry. An authorized account holder is the individual person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
The Contest hosted by OLTA is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
COPYRIGHT AND USE RIGHTS
Entrants retain the copyright to their photographs. However, by entering the Contest, each entrant hereby grants OLTA a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to print, publish, use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of the entrant’s own entries, and to display the entrant’s full name and photograph in connection with his or her Contest entry, in any media formats and through any media channels.
In the event copyright of any photograph submitted to the Contest is that of a minor, permission to enter the photograph in the competition, reprint, publish or otherwise reproduce the images, as described above, must have been obtained, in writing, from the minor’s parent or legal guardian prior to entry of the photograph in the Contest. Proof of such permission must be provided to OLTA upon request.
By submitting photographs, you agree that you own all rights to the works submitted and are solely responsible for obtaining model and property releases, when applicable.
OLTA CONTACT INFORMATION
Ontario Land Trust Alliance’s contact information is as follows:
Ontario Land Trust Alliance
10 Adelaide St. East, Suite 401
Toronto, Ontario, M5C 1J3
The Ontario Land Trust Alliance retains full ownership of the contest and takes full responsibly that the Contest is conducted in accordance with the laws of the province of Ontario.
Click here to return to the contest page.