Standard 2: Compliance with Laws
“Land trusts fulfill their legal requirements as not-for-profit organizations and comply with all laws and regulations.”
A. Compliance with Laws
- Comply with all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations.
|Working List of Applicable Laws to Land Trusts in Ontario||Ontario Land Trust Alliance||2020||22 KB||word|
|Legal Risk Management Checklist||Carters Professional Corporation||2018||358 KB|
B. Not-for-profit Incorporation and Bylaws
- Incorporate or organize according to the requirements of provincial or federal law and maintain legal status.
- Operate in accordance with established bylaws.
- Review the bylaws at least once every five years to ensure consistency with current operations, the organizing documents and provincial and/or federal law.
|Not-For-Profit Incorporator’s Guide||Ministry of Attorney General||2018||————————–||website|
|OLTA Bylaws||Ontario Land Trust Alliance||2013||82 KB|
|OFT Articles & Bylaws for Continuance||Ontario Farmland Trust||2013||464 KB|
|ORMLT Bylaws||Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust||2013||100 KB|
|Board Policies Review Schedule||Ontario Land Trust Alliance||2019||66.8 KB|
C. Tax Status
- Maintain status as a non-profit, registered charity or qualified donee under the Income Tax Act (Canada).
- File a complete and accurate annual information return with the Canada Revenue Agency and/or federal/provincial government.
- Comply with applicable rules regarding business activity and private or undue benefit.
- Where applicable, comply with federal requirements regarding political activities.
|T3010 Charity Return – Filing Information||Canadian Revenue Agency||2020||——————-||website|
|Charities and Politics – Presentation||Carters Law||2019||108 KB|
|Financial Management Policy||Ontario Land Trust Alliance||2016||236 KB|